If you consider the spectrum of keyboards, there are pretty much two ways you can go. One one side is a keyboard that is light, slim and portable, probably wireless – idealised by the Apple Wireless Keyboard. On the opposite side, we have something with mechanical switches, plenty of keys and built like a tank – idealised by the Filco Majestouch-2.
That’s why I was quite intrigued by the Matias Laptop Pro – it’s a mechanical keyboard, yet it’s Bluetooth-equipped and about 60% of the size of a standard keyboard. The promise is the feeling of a true mechanical keyboard, yet the portability of a mobile keyboard. Will the Laptop Pro hit the right balance? Let’s have a look.
- It feels amazing (Quiet Click switches)
- Wireless + compact (more desk space, no wires, portable)
- Really long battery life (1600 mAh for 6 months use)
- USB charging ports (for charging keyboard and charging other devices)
- Really quiet (first quiet mechanical switch, ideal for offices)
- A modern Apple Extended Keyboard II
- Mac-friendly function keys
- Also connects to iPad & Android tablets, PCs and other Bluetooth devices
- Easy to find symbols (printed right on the keys)
- Laser etched keys
- Sculpted keytops
- No ghost in this machine (N-KRO)
Matias Quiet Click Switches
• Tactile & sound-dampened ALPS-inspired design
• Peak force of 60±5 gf
• Travel distance of 3.5 mm
In the box
• Laptop Pro keyboard
• Charging cable (USB)
• User’s manual
• Windows or Mac with Bluetooth
• iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, Apple TV
• Android 3.0+
• Dimensions: 337 x 165 x 35 millimetres
• Weight: 974 grams
• Cable Length: 2 metres
The Laptop Pro comes in a very well designed box, showing the keyboard itself on the front and a list of features on the back and sides. The box even had a carrying handle, making it as portable as the keyboard itself!
Inside the box, we find the keyboard very well packed, with a layer of bubble wrap above and below the keyboard as well as the standard dust cloth. This is the most well-packed keyboard I’ve ever opened, and as you’d expect the keyboard came in fine condition because of this.