EA Games Updates Origin
EA Games have updated their digital distribution platform, Origin, giving it a few much needed tweaks. Most won’t be noticed by users as they involve back end improvements, but it is possible that the peformance tweaks could be noticeable.
The changes for this new version 8.3.7 are:
- Fixes an issue that caused downloads to go past 100% completion.
- Users installing the Russian disc version of Battlefield 3 will no longer be improperly asked to insert Disc 1.
- Fixes a number of issues that previously caused the Origin client to crash.
- Improves the performance of the Origin browser when loading Flash-based applications.
- Addresses a number of minor localization and user experience issues.
- Adds the ability to download and install third-party games from Origin.
- Improves the performance of the game update functionality.
- Makes changes so that Origin now sets permissions in ProgramData\Origin by default.
Still, it seems that Origin and Battlefield 3 users aren’t massively happy with the service, even though it could potentially offer a bit of competition for Valve’s Steam platform. Twitter is awash with comments of people claiming that they really, really don’t want to have to use it to play Battlefield. Gamers it seems, arn’t fans of Ea’s new service. Some sample tweets include:
@electronicarts I dont want Origin on my PC as it still scans files that have nothing to do with the game. Have been an @ea for a long time
@Battlefield wow. EA chat support EPIC FAIL. Joining Server loop still not fixed. Loved the game when it used to work! b4 origin update
OH @EA I hate origin! Why do you chose to torture your consumers before they can actually play the game they just bought from you??
Trying to think of a nice way to tell EA that whoever thought up Origin should choke on a waffle. A STALE WAFFLE.
With many more appearing every few seconds. Even the EA Origin update page features some negative comments about the service:
also, does this fix Single Player Campaign? I’m not even able to play :\ When ever I load any level, it crashes.. Just playing Multi-player.. Please fix. Regards
You know, Most people would have a ‘You can download the latest patch ‘ link for software that doesn’t auto-update itself.
Crash after crash after crash. This is the exact reason why origin and battelog should NOT be tied in together. I have had 5 crashes since origin updated. This has never happened to me before.
EA Games does have a history of having connectivity and bug issues with its Battlefield series. BF2142 released back in 2006 was a historically buggy game at launch. It did get fixed up over time though, just as the fans are hoping BF3 and Origin will be as well.