No this isn’t a funny retro post hearkening back to the early 2000s, this is a brand new expansion for one of Microsoft’s most beloved games of all time: Age of Empires II.
This new expansion, Named Forgotten Empires, brings with it a host of updates and features, including:
- Support for extra resolutions added, up-to 1920×1440, whereas AOE2 only supported upto 1280×1024.
- Five new Civilizations with their own wonders and unique units. Italians, Incas, Indians, Slavs and Magyars.
- Italians and Slavs get new graphics for their building sets. I believe Indians, Magyars and Incas are based around existing building models.
- A slew of balance changes. Mainly buffing underpowered civilizations and units.
- Two (and probably more although not listed in the wiki) new campaigns, one based on Alaric I and one based on Francesco Sforza. I’ll assume there is one based on each new Civilization.
- +50 population limit. I assume this means the absolute population limit will now be 250 (it was 200 in AoE2 and AoE2:TC?)
- Fixed bug issues, particularly with running the game on Windows 7.
- Many new units (such as Siege Towers, Imperial Camels, Slingers, Boyars, Elephant Archers etc)
- Several new buildings such as Stables (for Americans), Fire Towers, Palisade Gates, Trade Workshops and Quimper Cathedrals.
- A tonne of new technologies to research.
I know what I’ll be doing tonight.
I mean… I’ll be celebrating the new year with my girl. Obviously. Not playing Age of Empires. Definitely not.